Life after graduating.

| On
01:01:00
So it was the end of July where I spent a night at the airport hotel, and flew back on good old SIA, a day after the parents and the Bf left England for the sunny island. It was a bittersweet affair. I have grown to love the UK, watching the leaves fall in autumn, shivering through winter, watching the flowers bloom in spring ( having a room that looked out to the garden with a huge cherry blossom tree!), long summer days where the weather is perfect and everything in York looks so beautiful. I miss taking the train to various parts of the UK to explore. I enjoyed the journey, looking out at the sheep grazing on the fields and spotting cows on our long drawn train rides.

But all this finally came to an end when I graduated from the University of York, got a job in one of the Big 4 accounting firms, packed up all my belongings and moved home. I felt like I didn't belong. My friends from uni were scattered all across the globe. People I'm used to seeing in lectures and tutorials will just be part of my past, only a hand full were coming back home to Singapore too.

Being used to cycling to school/church/wherever I needed to go turned into either taking the car if dad allowed me to (I had just passed my driving test the day before I flew back) if not I'll take the train. Well it's 11 mins to raffles place and 4 mins to Orchard ( can't really complain). I also started taking the bus too, and it is nice looking out of the window and seeing shops you never knew existed, old eating places that you know will soon make way for higher end cafes or restaurants. I never understood why people complained about the crowded trains. To me it was efficient. During my summer break I would take the train, and it came every 2-3 mins, and got me where I needed to go in such a short while. But having to lug a laptop, my handbag and files on a crowded train at Novena every morning was not ideal. It is a struggle every morning to get on the train. You just have to be bold. See the space in which you don't think you can fit in? Just take a leap of faith. Somehow people tend to move and make space. If not, keep waiting for the next train, which will probably be as packed as the previous one.

Besides the struggle with transport, I had to learn to order food in a local hawker centre/coffee shop. Earning my own money means firstly, tithing to God. I am merely a steward of what he has blessed me with, followed by my parents and saving a large chunk for buying a home. This leaves little money for frivolous purchases. For one I cut out taking a cab everywhere so as to be able to still dine at nice places with friends, and for lunch during work I choose something simple and affordable. I must say I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to Singaporean cuisine. But I've found a few favorites that have become my staples. I love sliced fish in soup with white noodles or just rice with dishes. I do like the occasional popiah and chicken rice ( breast meat,no skin or bones) but I tend to abstain from anything with yellow noodles or is spicy in nature.

I'm starting to acclimatize well. Local food is satisfying, I'm appreciative of how affordable transport is here, and I'm starting to build up my support system in terms of reconnecting with my friends, getting to know awesome people at my previous workplace and being more involved in church. Yes, I've started teaching sunday school. And I love being about to see my grandma every week and watch my nephews grow up. Mum has also graciously paid for my gym membership and lasik so here's to healthier living. So I'm thankful for this season in my life and am excited to start another phase as a management consultant.


Be First to Post Comment !