The Hairy Fig

| On
08:42:00
The Hairy Fig epitomises what eating in York is like. It is a small deli and cafe, situated on Fossgate.The shop is tiny, with the walls stacked with tonnes of artisan food. Well they do claim to be the purveyors of fine fodder.

It was a wet and cold wednesday, and I headed to The Hairy Fig to meet a friend after my gym session. I was greeted by a mother duck and her ducklings right outside the cafe. It made me happy, seeing the little ducklings happily playing in the rain.


Though the set up was small, there were only 4 tables in the cafe area; the menu was extensive. They even had a choice of daily specials. Who doesn't like to be spoilt for choice?





I love their attention to detail, how every tea set used for every customer was different, fresh flowers on each table, and even the toilet had loo rolls with rose prints on it! (FYI, those loo rolls can be bought at Marks and Spencer) I liked it so much I actually went to find out where I could buy them.



The tea came before the food arrived, and ah, the joy of sipping on a cup of hot tea on a cold day. Pure bliss. I got the duck confit salad which was about £8, while my friend got the quiche which was also priced similarly. I really enjoyed having lunch here and on top of that, when you leave the cafe you can see their range of unique aged balsamic vinegars, all available ’on tap’. Mango vinegar anyone? I will definitely miss the Hairy Fig when I leave for Singapore.


Be First to Post Comment !